What is Invokana?
Invokana is one of a new class of medications called sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors used to treat Type 2 Diabetes. Some doctors are also prescribing Invokana for weight loss, an off-label application.
How does Invokana Work?
Invokana and other SGLT2i drugs work by mimicking the body’s response to a diabetic crisis. It blocks the enzyme necessary for metabolizing glucose thus forcing the kidneys to expel all the body’s glucose. The process can overwhelm the fragile kidneys causing them to shut down, and result in coma and death.
Why is Invokana Dangerous?
The kidneys weren’t made to handle glucose excretion in this capacity for a lengthy stretch of time. They would only function in this manner for a short-term health crisis, such as a bout of uncontrolled diabetes. The kidneys were simply not built to handle a high glucose load.
What are the Side Effects of Invokana?
- Kidney failure means your kidneys no longer function and patients must have dialysis or a kidney transplant to survive. Our bodies rely on our kidneys to filter waste, regulate blood pressure, red blood cell production and to keep electrolytes in proper balance. When your kidneys stop working weakness, shortness of breath, lethargy, confusion, abnormal heart rhythms and sudden death occur.
- Heart attack (Myocardial infarction) describes restricted blood flow to the heart resulting in permanent cell death. A blockage to the arteries deprives the heart of oxygen, blood flow and vital nutrients. Depending on how long this blockage is in place, more or less heart tissue is destroyed.
- Ketoacidosis is an urgent health crisis that can come on suddenly. It describes a condition in which high levels of ketones being produced in the body as a result of insufficient insulin. Ketoacidosis can result in a patient suffering a diabetic coma, extended hospitalization and even death. The signs of ketoacidosis are excessive thirst, frequent urination, fruity-scented breath, lethargy, confusion, nausea and vomiting.
Why are there Lawsuits Against the Makers of Invokana?
- Failure to Warn: Despite studies that showed increased risk of renal failure, heart attack and ketoacidosis the manufacturers do not warn doctors or patients of these side effects.
- Flawed design: The drug was knowingly engineered to put the kidneys into a crisis response that is too stressful for the organ to handle over a long period of time.
Call McNamara Law Firm PLLC at 520-624-0126.